The Jueria Grossa (15th and 16th centuries)
The jueria was bought between 1462 and 1466 by Bishop Margarit, and from that point was property of the Bishopric of Girona, with a tenancy held by a farmer (joer is an old word for farmer, so the property is the 'large farmhouse'). The bishop Jaume Cassador (1584-1597) created the current building, with the aim of it being a summer residence for the bishops of Girona, and the farmer was moved to a more modest building (the 'Jueria petita', or 'small farmhouse'). From 1842, due to disentailment, it again became a farmhouse. It still retains its aspect and structure from the 16th century. It has a square floor plan, two floors and an attic, with the rooms distributed around an interior courtyard with a portico, whose three columns each with Romanesque capitals are a particular highlight. The windows and the door are in a Renaissance style and the coat of arms of Bishop Cassador can be seen above the main entrance. The attic is open to the outside by means of a gallery with rounded arches, which allows us to see modern alterations.
|Dirección:||People Domeny. Along the road from Girona, Sant Gregori, km. 4.
|Visita:||Particular property. Closed